The Kalahari-Oranje Museum is housed in the buildings built by the Reverend Schröder in 1875 as a church and mission station. Household items dating from that age and items relating to the history of Upington and the Lower Orange River can be seen here.
The museum is home to the life-sized statue of the donkey, sculptured in bronze by Hennie Potgieter. It represents the unselfish contribution made by the donkey in developing the Lower Orange River Valley during the pioneer days.
Founded in 1884 and located in the Northern Cape province of South Africa, on the banks of the Orange River. Originally the town was called Olyfenhoudtsdrif (‘Olive wood drift’), due to the very large olive wood trees in the area. Later renamed after Sir Thomas Upington, Attorney-General and then Prime Minister of the Cape. It began as a mission station set in 1875 and run by Reverend Christiaan Schröder. The mission station now houses the town museum. Known as the Kalahari Orange Museum. The museum is also the home of a donkey statue. Which recognizes the very large contribution that this animal made to the development of the area during the early days of the 19th century.
The elevation of Upington is 2742 feet (835 meters). It is the closest large center to the Augrabies Falls (possibly the greatest of South African waterfalls) and the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. The landscape is very dry. But the soil is fruitful. Crops such as fruit are grown in well watered fields. The area is best known for its export-quality grapes, raisins and wines. Which are grown on the rich flood plains of the Orange river.
Copyright © 2017. Riemvasmaak Accommodation, Business & Tourism Portal. All Rights Reserved.